Check for the following in the new premises before you take occupation.
- The electricity account is in your name.
- Demand a COC ( Certificate of Compliance – Electrical) so that when you take over, the electrical reticulation is in order.
- Check for any defects and report these to the Landlord within 7 days or within the prescribes period referred to in the lease.
- Include photographs and keep a record of these as proof of the condition of the building when you took occupation.
- The Landlord should rectify the defects and provide you with a list which you need to sign off as accepted.
- Check the meter reading’s so you don’t pay for water / electrical consumption prior to your occupation.